December Council on Aging activities
WAREHAM – The Wareham Council on Aging offers a variety of activities during the month of December for the town’s seniors. Visit the town’s website for updated information and to see a copy of the Senior Beacon for a schedule of the daily activities at https://www.wareham.ma.us/council-aging. All activities take place in the Multiservice Center at 48 Marion Road unless otherwise noted. The Council on Aging office hours are Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. and Friday from 9 a.m. to noon. Masks must be worn in all town buildings.
– Dec. 8 at 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.: Acrylic Paint Day. Have fun painting and go home with a completed project. Fee is $15, and all materials are provided. The class is limited, so please call 508-291-3130 to reserve your place.
– Dec. 10 at 10:30 a.m.: Garden Therapy will take place with the Wareham Garden Club which generously provides the materials to create a beautiful arrangement. The class is limited to 18, so call to reserve a place at 508-291-3130.
– Dec. 14 at 1 p.m.: Christmas Ornament Craft with Barbara Pelletier. All materials will be provided. Call to sign up in advance at 508-291-3130. A $2 donation is requested.
– Dec. 15 at 11:30 a.m. in the Cafeteria: Christmas Luncheon. The menu includes homemade pot roast with gravy served with mashed potatoes, and zucchini with tomatoes. Chocolate frosted cake will be served for dessert. Holiday music will be provided. Seating is limited, so call for reservations at 508-291-3130.
– Dec. 17 from 9 to 10 a.m.: Greater Food Bank of Boston will deliver food orders if you signed up previously. **If you have not signed up for the monthly food distribution of fresh food and staples on the fourth Friday of each month between 9 – 10 a.m., you can do so now. To be eligible, you must be 60 years of age or older and have an income under $1,400 per month for one person, $1,900 for two. Call the Council on Aging at 508 295-3130 for an application.
– Dec. 20: Dental Services at the COA. Preventative dental services are once again being offered by Dental Hygiene Services. These services are covered by Mass Health Standards and affordable rates are available for individuals without dental insurance. Call 508-827-6725 to make appointments or for more information.
GREAT NEWS! Bingo returns in January. Every Wednesday at 12:30 following luncheon. This will be cash bingo only. A raffle by the Advocates for Wareham Seniors will also be held.
Coming in 2022: Beginners Acrylic Painting – four-week class, Wednesdays, Jan. 26 to Feb. 16 from 10 a.m. to noon. These classes will be held in the Cranberry Café. Register by Jan. 19, 2022. Only 12 students per class. Call 508-291-3130, $40 fee includes all supplies.
Mahjong: The Cranberry Café is the location for Mahjong games starting at 1:00 p.m.
Cribbage: On Mondays from 10 a.m. to noon, enjoy a few games of Cribbage in Room 208.
Make Mats for the Homeless: All materials are provided for this community service on Wednesdays at 1 p.m. in Room 102.
Physical activities in the Multiservice Center: Chair Volleyball on Tuesdays at 10 a.m. Tai Chi is on Tuesdays at 1:30 p.m., and Chair Yoga continues with Pam on Thursdays at 2 p.m.
Fitness Classes with Marge Blinstrub temporarily at the Wareham Free Library are Mondays—Circuit Classes from 9 to 10 a.m. at $3 per class; and Fridays—Country Line Dancing from 9 to 10 a.m. at $3 per class. No need to sign up before and pay at the door.
Weekly Coffee and Conversation: Join a lively group of seniors Tuesdays at 9-10 am in the Cranberry Café.
Grab and Go Lunches continue Tuesdays and Thursdays. Pick up the free lunches courtesy of the Old Colony Elder Services at the Multi-Service Center handicap ramp between 9 and 9:30 a.m. Lunches must be reserved at least three days ahead of the scheduled delivery date by calling 508-291-3130. The menu is available in the Senior Beacon and on Facebook.
Reminders: Senior Tax Work-Off Program forms are available in the COA Office.
Volunteers are needed for programs, Meals on Wheels, newsletters, etc. Forms available in the office or call 508-291-3130 for more information.
Virtual Bereavement Support Group help is available by calling Ken at 508-399-5900.
Legal Questions – consultation appointments with Jilian Morton can be made at 508-291-3130.